free firewood Somerset
Chat now


  • Age:
  • 38


Start new discussion. View un-answered posts. You can personalise what you see on TSR.


In England, Wales, Scotland and - from 13 January - Northern Ireland, there is no gender requirement for marriage. Transgender spouses can stay married, if they want to, after one of them has changed their gender. Certain blood relatives may not legally marry each other. This includes marriages between siblings 'sibling' means a brother, sister, half-brother or half-sister and between a parent and child for example; a mother and son or father and daughter.

You also cannot marry your grandparent, grandchild, your parent's sibling or your sibling's. Adopted children and their genetic parents and genetic grandparents may not marry. If they do, the marriage will be automatically void, even if they do not know they are related.

Adopted children may not marry their adoptive parents or any former adoptive parents but they are allowed to marry the rest of their adoptive family, including their adoptive brother or sister. People who are step relations or in-laws may marry only in certain circumstances and you are urged to seek legal advice if this is applicable to you. There are strict requirements and these marriages may usually only take place during a civil ceremony, under licence.

The law on getting married

Provided they are aged 21 years or older, step-relatives may marry. However, the younger member of the couple must, at no time before the age of 18, have lived under the same roof as the older person. Neither must they have been treated as of the older person's family. Relatives-in-law may marry, provided that they are 21 years or older.

This includes marriages between:. Engagements are mainly for cultural reasons and have limited status.

However, they can be used, for example, in immigration law as evidence of intention to marry. One of the parties can decide to end an engagement as an agreement to marry cannot be legally enforced. If an engagement is broken, the person giving an engagement ring usually cannot require it to be returned unless, at the time it was given, it was specifically said that it should be returned if the engagement were broken.

Any other property belonging to the couple should be divided between them in the same way as property would be divided if the couple divorced. If the couple cannot agree about entitlement to property, either person can apply to a court to decide the issue, provided this is done within three years of the end of the engagement.

There is no definitive rule as to whether or not an engagement ring has to be returned.

Each case has to be decided on its own merits. You should seek legal advice if this issue affects you.

Marriage (prohibited degrees) act

Any other property should be divided according to the Scottish law of property. For example if the woman owned a house in her sole name it would remain her sole property. A marriage can take place in a register office, at a venue approved for civil marriage, or any religious building that is registered for the solemnisation of marriage and may be solemnised by a registrar or assistant registrar who has been approved by the Registrar General for that purpose. If you wish to marry by religious ceremony other than in a Christian church, you should first arrange to see the person in charge of marriages at the building.

What states can you marry your sibling?

It will also be necessary for both of you to give formal notice of your marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district s where you live. A registrar may also need to be booked from the register office in the district where the marriage is to take place in order to register the marriage. In Scotland, the only legal requirement is that the person you expect to conduct the ceremony has to be an approved celebrant registered to conduct marriages.

In Northern Ireland, religious institutions can decide whether or not they'll conduct same-sex marriages.

You'll therefore have to consult with the officiant of the religious organisation you have in mind for your wedding. It is a legal requirement to give notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership. You would give notice of at least 28 days at your local register office of your intended marriage or civil partnership. You must have been living in the registration district for at least 7 days to be able to give notice there.

In Northern Ireland, same-sex couples can give notice to the registrar in their local district council of their intention to form a religious same-sex marriage. If your intended partner is resident in England or Wales and you're living overseas in a country that has ed up to the Can you marry your brother Subjects Facilities Acts' you'll be able to give notice of your intended marriage or civil partnership in the county where you're living.

Provided the person they intend to marry is resident in England and Wales, officers, seamen or marines on board one of Her Majesty's ships at sea can give notice to the captain or other officer commanding the ship. You can get married in England and Wales as long as you have both lived in a registration district for at least seven days immediately before giving notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership.

If you live in a country outside of the UK and you intend to have your marriage ceremony in the UK, you will be subject to the marriage laws of the country that you ordinarily live in, as opposed to being subject to UK marriage laws.

Legality of incest in the united states

You should try to obtain a document from your own country confirming that there is no impediment to the marriage. If either of you is from outside the UK and subject to immigration control, you will not be able to give a notice of marriage, unless that person has a valid visa to come into the UK. Your circumstances will determine what kind of visa you should get. More information to check if you can get married or form a civil partnership in the UK is available on GOV. You will need to show the registrar documentary evidence of your name, age and nationality — ideally in the form of your passport.

You will also be asked to provide evidence of your address. If you have been married before, you will also need to produce documents that confirm that you are now free to marry. These could include:. And, if you are subject to immigration control, you will also need to produce documentary evidence to confirm that you are eligible to be married in the UK. You both need to go to your local register office to give notice of your intention to marry.

You must both give notice of marriage in person - no one else can do it on your behalf. In England and Wales, you have to go to the register office where you have a seven day residential qualification.

Can you marry your brother-in-law?

If you plan to marry in a different area, you should also contact the register office for the district in which the marriage is due to take place. If you or the person you wish to marry are subject to immigration control, you will only be able to give your notices of marriage at a specially deated register office which you must attend together. There are 76 register offices in England and Wales that have been selected as deated register offices. A list of these 76 offices is available on the GOV. UK website. You must go to the deated office together and satisfy the eligibility requirements in a 'giving notice' interview.

When you give notice in Wales, you may do it in either English, or in English and Welsh. If notice is to be given bilingually, both the person giving notice and the registrar you see must be able to understand the Welsh language. All local authorities in Wales have at least one Welsh speaking registrar or deputy. You must go to the register office for the district in which the marriage Can you marry your brother to take place even if it isn't the same district that you live in.

This is because you will need to ensure that a superintendent registrar to conduct the service and a registrar of marriages to record the details in the marriage register and issue your certificate will be free to attend your chosen venue on the day. If you, or the person to whom you want to get married, are subject to immigration control, you must satisfy the eligibility requirements in a 'giving notice' interview. You both have to submit a marriage notice with the appropriate fee and necessary documentation to the registrar for the district in which the marriage is to take place.

Each of you must complete a marriage notice to ensure that you are both aware that the marriage is expected to take place. On each marriage notice there is a declaration for you to confirming that the particulars and information given on the notice are correct. Once given, your notices are publicised by the relevant registration authority by being displayed in the Marriage Notice Book. The notice will be publicised for 28 days. After giving this notice, normally you must wait until this publication period is over before you can get married.

After the notice period and if the registrar is satisfied that there is no impediment to your intended marriage he will issue you with a Certificate of Authority, also referred to as a marriage licence, to get married.

Based on the information that you both provide in your notice, the relevant registration authority will prepare the marriage schedule. This document contains all relevant particulars and is a most important document as the marriage cannot proceed without it.

If you are having a religious marriage the marriage schedule will be issued to you by the registrar. It will only be issued to the bride or groom so nobody can collect it on your behalf. This marriage schedule must be given to the person performing the marriage prior to the ceremony.

Both of you will have to it together with two witnesses and the person performing the marriage ceremony.

This will then be returned to the registrar so that the marriage can be registered. If you are having a civil marriage the marriage schedule will not be issued to you.

Language selection

The registrar will have it available on the day of the marriage ceremony for ature. Subsequently the details of the marriage schedule will be used to register the marriage. Need assistance? Call Personal services by telephone Browse personal documents Personal law guide close.

Popular members


Click to see full answer.


Home » Wellness » Relationships » What are the states where you can marry your sibling?


In the United States , the legality of incest varies widely between jurisdictions regarding both the definition of the offense and penalties for its commission.


Home » Wellness » Relationships » Can you marry your brother-in-law?